Candles have always been viewed as romantic. You do not hold a romantic dinner under LED lighting, you hold a romantic candle-lit dinner. So what better way to celebrate romance and love than with a little bit of candle magick?
Candle magick is old school sympathetic magick, and it has been around for a long time. Every time you make a wish and blow out birthday candles, you are performing candle magick. Candle Magick is easy to perform and is relatively inexpensive. You really only need a candle and a fire source- you don’t really even need a coloured candle if you don’t have one, they just help.
Which Colour Candle Should You Use For Love Magick?
The colour of your candles really depends upon what your intended outcome is.
There are generally 2 candle colours that are specific to attracting and increasing love, these are Pink and Red
If you are after passion, attraction, action, desire, and lust, the fiery colour red is ideal.
If you are in a committed relationship and are looking to strengthen the love between yourself and your partner, pink candles are ideal. They have a gentler energy and are suited to emotional love, unconditional love, healing and sweet feelings. (however if it's a one night Valentine’s Day kinda thing, you might want red).
In a pinch, you can always use white. White is a universal colour that can be used for just about anything, so if you only have a white candle, that’s fine, especially if you are going to anoint it or add other enhancements.
Does Size Matter?
In a relationship- I cannot answer that question for you ;)
In a candle, follow these guidelines.
Quickie spells- pun definitely intended- use a small candle- the spell candles we sell are ideal for quickies- they only last up to 1 hr and provide a short burst of energy. Votive candles are also good, as are tea lights.
For ongoing spells/problems- pillar candles may be more appropriate, These candles can be carved with intentions and used over multiple sessions.
Generally speaking, the more you are asking for, the bigger the candle. You would not try to fix a broken leg with a band aid- they are used for small cuts. Same applies here. It really is that simple.
You can also use figure candles, in love spells if your spell revolves around a person known to you i.e. an existing lover.
How you can make the most of candle magick this Valentine’s Day
Candles are themselves a powerful tool for magick spells, however there are ways in which you can strengthen your candle magick. These include
- Anointing with oils and/or herbs: Oils and herbs that symbolize love such as Rose and lavender can be used to anoint your candle to enhance the love spell. If you are using dried herbs, first place a neutral oil such as olive oil on your candle and then roll it in the herbs (make sure that you only burn your candle in a fireproof container as the oil and dried herbs can catch on fire). If you are using an essential oil or a perfume oil, add a touch of them to the candle and massage into the candle, holding your desired intention in your minds eye.
- Writing petition papers- write your desires onto small pieces of paper (pink or red pieces of paper to match your chosen candle colour would enhance the sympathetic magick). These petitions can be burnt in the flame (light the paper with the flame and put it straight in a fireproof container to finish burning) to release their energies, or placed beneath the candle to enhance the spell.
- Engraving into the candle: you can also use a tool such as an athame to engrave your intentions into your candle. This could be as simple as engraving a name, initials and a love heart etc. Always be careful when engraving with sharp objects and keep the blade pointing away from you.
If you want to take it up a notch, build a love altar
If love is an ongoing issue that you are working on, having an altar dedicated to love can be a good idea. Choose a space- bedroom would be ideal, where you can set up a small table/ flat surface with representations of love (red or pink depending on what you are working on). On your altar you could have a cloth in the colour that you have chosen such as red, heart symbols, a picture of your lover, red candles, crystals, rose petals, anointing oils etc. You may even choose to add in a statue or picture of Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Once you have your altar, make sure that you tend to it regularly (where thought goes, energy follows). Once a week, you might want to make an offering of a candle/ incense to keep the energy of love flowing so that it does not stagnate.
When Searching For Love, Don't Forget Yourself
Even though Valentine’s Day is all about couples, we also need to remember ourselves. Whilst it is great to be in a relationship, sometimes during our lifetimes, we may find ourselves alone and it can feel kind of depressing- especially with all the media around Valentine’s Day.
Why am I bringing this up you ask? Because, if you don’t love yourself, you are
giving others permission to also not love you- and that defeats the whole purpose! If this sounds like you, even if you are in a relationship, some candle magick for self love is probably more important and more beneficial than performing a spell for external love.
Pink candles are perfect for promoting a caring self- love, helping you to increase your self esteem and feel content, so even if you do not have a partner this Valentines Day, or you simply choose not to celebrate Valentine’s Day, I think everyone can benefit from some gentle self love every now and then.
How To Perform A Candle Love Spell
Candle spells are easy, which is why they are so popular. Your spell can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be, involving just a single candle, or lots of enhancements. At the end of the day, do what your heart tells you is right. For a general guideline, follow this candle love spell ritual below and tweak it until it feels good to you.
The Candle Love Spell Ritual:
- Selecting the Candle: Choose a candle that resonates with your intention, whether it's a pink candle for unconditional love or a red one for passion.
- Carving Symbols or Words: Use a consecrated tool such as an athame to carve symbols or words that represent your desires into the candle. This personalizes the spell and strengthens the connection between you and the energy you wish to attract.
- Anointing with Oil (optional): Select a love-drawing oil, such as rose or lavender, and anoint the candle from the centre towards the top (to attract) and then towards the base (to repel negativity). Yu can use essential oils for this purpose or perfume oils such as the ones we sell here.
- Charging the Candle: Hold the candle in your hands, close your eyes, and visualize your intention. Infuse the candle with your energy and desires.
- Lighting the Candle: As you light the candle, focus on your intention, and let the flame become a focal point for your energy and desires.
- Meditation and Affirmations: Meditate on the flame, repeating affirmations related to your intention. Feel the energy building within and around you.
Remember, love spells can enhance feelings between people and strengthen bonds, especially if you are in a committed relationship. Love spells will not however fix your relationships.If you are having relationship issues, you may need counselling. Also, never leave burning candles unattended- nothing kills the mood more than your house catching on fire on Valentine’s Day!