Pendulum boards have become popular lately and with good reason. Not only are they a practical way to divine using your pendulum, they can also add a decorative element to your sacred space or altar.
So, what is a pendulum board?
How Does It Work?
The pendulum board works in conjunction with your pendulum, providing a framework in which to interpret the answers that arise from the swing of the pendulum.
Instead of having to interpret the answers yourself via the direction of spin/swing of the pendulum, the board is used to interpret the answer based upon which word, letter or symbol the pendulum swings towards on the board. This is why the words i.e. "yes" or "no" etc are located on opposite sides of the board so there is no confusion as to the correct answer.
How Do I Use A Pendulum Board?
Using a pendulum board is similar to using a pendulum on it's own.
- Hold the pendulum in the centre, above the board by its chain/string.
- Allow the pendulum to hang freely above the board, not impeded by anything, with your elbow of the hand holding the pendulum rested on a steady surface.
- Proceed to ask your specific yes or no questions, using the board to interpret the answers.
Interpreting the Movements: The movements of the pendulum over the board are typically categorized into different responses:
Yes: The pendulum may swing back and forth, from front to back, indicating a "yes" response.
No: The pendulum might swing from side to side or move in a horizontal manner, indicating a "no" response.
Uncertain or Maybe: If the pendulum moves in a circular motion or exhibits a diagonal swing, it may suggest uncertainty or an inability to answer the question at that moment.
Using Symbols or Letters: Pendulum boards can have a wide variety of symbols, letters, numbers, or words printed or engraved on them. These markings allow for more specific responses. Forexample, a board might have the letters of the alphabet arranged in a circle, enabling the pendulum to spell out words when responding to questions. This type of communication with a pendulum takes a lot longer and can illicit differing responses, so it is best to practise with your board often to build a connection to it, same as you would with your tarot cards or crystals.
Why Would You Use A Pendulum Board?
Not only are pendulum boards a decorative item, they also act as a visual aid. Much like a spirit board (a.k.a. ouija or talking board), a pendulum board offers a visual connection with the spirit world/ your subconscious (whichever you believe is controlling the pendulum).
A pendulum board offers the following benefits:
- Structure and Organization: Pendulum boards provide a structured layout with symbols, letters, numbers, and sometimes specific response options like "yes" and "no." This organized setup can be helpful, especially when seeking specific answers or conducting more complex dowsing sessions.
- Clarity and Precision: The markings on the pendulum board offer a clearer and more precise response system. This can be particularly beneficial for beginners or when you require precise answers or detailed information.
- Focus and Intent: Pendulum boards can help focus your intentions and questions. When you have a specific question in mind, the symbols and options on the board can help you narrow down your focus and get targeted responses.
- Customization: While you can purchase ready-made pendulum boards, you also have the option to create your own board with symbols and markings that hold personal significance or align with your belief system.
Do You Need A Pendulum Board?
No. Whilst pendulum boards can indeed be a great tool, pendulums have been around for a long time, and there is no reason that you would need a board to perform divination with a pendulum. If you would like to know how to use a pendulum without a board, visit our beginners guide to using a pendulum.
In Fact, some of the reasons that you might wish to not use a pendulum board include:
- Versatility and Portability: A stand alone pendulum is much more portable and convenient to carry around. You can use it anywhere without the need for a physical board, making it ideal for on-the-go dowsing.
- Flexibility: Without the constraints of a predetermined layout, you can use a pendulum in various environments and for various types of dowsing, such as seeking energy fields, locating lost objects, or making decisions.
- Direct Connection: Using a pendulum without a board creates a direct energetic connection between you and the pendulum. Some practitioners find this more intuitive and feel a stronger connection to the energy they are dowsing.
- Simplified Approach: For straightforward yes-or-no questions or when seeking quick answers, a standalone pendulum is quick and easy to use without the need for additional tools.
Regardless of whether you choose to use your pendulum alone, or with a board, be it store-bought or a self-made; the real magic lies in your ability to connect with your pendulum and trust your intuition. As with all of the tools of divination, the one thing that will make you better at dowsing is practise. Practise connecting with your pendulum and find which method works best for you!
Do you prefer to use your pendulum with or without a board, let us know in the comments section.
If you are searching for pendulums and pendulum boards, check out our pendulum collection here.